Golden Visa Portugal
Officially called “ARI” (“Autorização de Residência para Actividade de Investimento”), the Golden Visa in Portugal is Europe’s most successful residency-by-investment program.
Under this program, a person not from the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, can make a qualifying investment in Portugal and be granted a Portuguese residence permit for themselves and immediate family members.
The ARI beneficiary will have:
- Permanent free entry and circulation in Portugal and 25 other Schengen zone European countries.
- Freedom to live and/or work in Portugal (or not – the minimum stay requirements are 7 days in the first year and 14 days during each of the two subsequent 2-year periods, whether or not consecutive), while keeping another residence (if so wished) in another country.
- Portugal is one of the 5 most peaceful countries in the world and has one of the lowest crime rates in Europe.
- The Portuguese are polite, friendly, and welcoming to visitors regardless of their country of origin and multilingual speaking; English, Spanish, German, among others.
- Portugal’s capital city Lisbon is considered by many to be the new “IT Capital” often referred to as the San Francisco of Europe.
- The Algarve continues to win international awards for being Europe’s leading tourist destination.
- Portugal won 39 awards at this year’s 2019 World Travel Awards, taking home top honours with the award for Europe’s Leading Destination.
GOLDEN VISA IN PORTUGAL IS EUROPE’S MOST SUCCESSFUL RESIDENCY-BY-INVESTMENT PROGRAM
- Make and maintain the qualifying investment for a minimum of five years
- Spend a minimum of seven days in Portugal for the first year, then no less than 14 days each subsequent two‑year period
- Have a clean criminal record
Invest €500,000 in Real Estate
Real Estate investment of at least €500,000 of any type of real estate and anywhere in Portugal. (Reduced to €400,000 if it is located in a low-density area).
Invest in Real Estate Rehabilitation
Real Estate and its rehabilitation, investment in eligible properties that are over 30 years of age or are located in designated areas of urban rehabilitation AND the property purchase price plus the ex-VAT value of the rehabilitation work contract of at least €350,000. (Reduced to €280,000 if located in a low-density area).
The transfer of at least €1 million to Portugal.
Create 10 full-time jobs
Creation of 10 new full-time jobs within a Portuguese business in the format of a single‑member limited company. (Reduced to eight positions if in a low-density area).
Investment into national heritage
Investment into the conservation of national heritage, arts and culture of at least €250,000.
Investment in Research
Investment in research conducted by accredited institutions that are part of the national scientific and technological system of at least €350,000.
Investment into an existing business
Investment into an existing Portugal-registered business, or at least €350,000 to either incorporate or increase the share capital AND create at least 5 full‑time permanent jobs for a minimum period or three years.
Investment into private equity funds
An investment of at least €350,000 can be made to a private equity fund. This can be a more convenient option for some as it avoids the hassle of looking for property and subsequent management.
General documents required
- Copy of a valid passport and travel documents;
- Proof of Health Insurance in Portugal;
- Certified copy of the criminal certificate or a Police clearance letter from your country of origin;
- A completed form authorizing Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras (SEF) to get an extract of your Portuguese criminal records;
- Declaration from you confirming compliance with the investment requirements;
- Documents showing a good standing with the Portuguese Tax and Customs Authority and Social Security system. These can be issued 45 days prior to your online application; and
- A receipt showing that you already paid the application processing fee.
Documents required related to €500,000 investment
- Acquisition deed of the real estate (s) or the pre-contract agreement (for the amount equal to or above €500,000);
- Declaration of a credit institution authorised or registered in Portugal confirming the transfer of the amount equal to or above €500,000;
- Land Registrar Certificate;
- Legal description of the real estate;
- Extract from the register of companies (in the case where the investment is made through a limited company) of which the applicant is a shareholder.
Documents required related to €350,000 investment (real estate rehabilitation)
The Applicant must prove that the investment has been made for the minimum amount required by submitting the following documentation:
- Acquisition deed of the real estate (s) or the precontract agreement (for the amount equal to or above €350,000 or €280,000 in a low density area;
- Declaration of a credit institution authorised or registered in Portugal confirming the transfer of the amount equal to or above €350,000 or €280,000 in a low density area;
- Land Registrar Certificate;
- Legal description of the real estate;
- Extract from the register of companies (in the case where the investment is made through a limited company) of which the applicant is a shareholder;
- Prior notification or request for a permit to carry out the urban rehabilitation works or contract to carry out the rehabilitation works on the real estate;
- Payment receipt of the works contract or deposit in a bank account of the Applicant, free from any charges or obligations, of the price of the works contract, in a credit institution authorised or registered in Portugal;
- Supporting evidence of the construction of the real estate (s) for 30 years, at least, in case such information is not stated in the legal description, or Declaration of the competent entity attesting the real estate is within a rehabilitation area.
For the investor:
- Maintain the qualifying investment;
- Not having any criminal record in his country or in Portugal;
- Staying in Portugal 7 days in the first year and 14 in each two years after (first card is issued for 1 year and the others for each two years);
- Having no debt to Finances department in Portugal or social security;
- Maintaining valid health insurance in Portugal;
- Proof of having means of subsistence (normally the house its enough).
- By receiving and analysing the application for the granting of a residence permit for investment activity (the investor) — €532.70;
- By receiving and analysing the application for the relatives of the Investor (for each family member) — €83.10;
- For the issue of a residence permit for the investment activity (investor and each family member) — € 5.324.60;
- By receiving and analysing the application for the renewal of a residence permit for investment activity for the investor — €532.70;
- By receiving and analysing the application for the renewal of relatives of the Investor (for each family member) — €83.10;
- For the renewal of a residence permit for the investment activity (investor and each family member) —€2,662.30;
- To collect the Residence card at SEF Delegation — €12.90.
Other associated costs
- €369.00 (VAT included) per year for the investor and his wife fiscal representation;
- Notary purchase deed: €600.00 (more or less);
- Notary POA: €80.00 (more or less);
- Land Registry Office: €250.00 for each property;
- Health insurance: depending on the age, between €25,00 and €50,00 each person/month.